Indulge in the comforting warmth of a bowl of homemade creamy leek and potato soup. This classic recipe combines the delicate sweetness of leeks, the hearty goodness of potatoes, and a medley of aromatic ingredients to create a rich and satisfying dish. Whether you're seeking a soothing meal on a chilly day or a delightful starter for a special dinner, this creamy soup is sure to please. With its velvety texture and subtle flavors, it's also a fantastic option for anyone following a plant-based or vegetarian diet. Let's dive into the simple steps to prepare this nourishing and flavorful soup.
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups plant-based milk (such as hemp, almond, soy, or oat milk)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by preparing your vegetables. Slice the leeks, peel and dice the potatoes, chop the onion, and mince the garlic.
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, heat a bit of oil or vegetable broth over medium heat. Add the sliced leeks, chopped onion, and minced garlic. Sauté them for about 5-7 minutes, or until they become soft and translucent.
- Add the diced potatoes to the pot and continue to cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and plant based milk, making sure it covers all the vegetables. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let it simmer for approximately 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, use an immersion blender or transfer the soup to a blender in batches to puree it until smooth. If using a regular blender, be sure to allow the soup to cool slightly before blending and then reheat it afterward.
- Return the blended soup to the pot (if necessary) and place it over low heat. Pour in the plant-based milk and stir well to combine.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Start with a pinch of salt and a few cracks of black pepper, then adjust according to your preference.
- Let the soup simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes to heat through and allow the flavors to meld.
- Taste the soup again and adjust the seasoning if needed. If the soup is too thick, you can add a bit more plant-based milk or vegetable broth to reach your desired consistency.
- Once the soup is hot and well-seasoned, remove it from the heat.
- Serve your creamy leek and potato soup hot, garnished with some extra cracked black pepper or fresh herbs if desired.
Enjoy your homemade creamy leek and potato soup!